Panama City Tour + Canal Museum + Canal Visitors Center + Locks At Miraflores
Don’t accept imitations; we are the originators of the Layover Tour in Panama. Major world – class travel agencies such as VIATOR/TRIP ADVISOR promote and purchase our tours for their valued customers.
Enjoy a guided sightseeing tour and visit the most important sites and landmarks of Panama. Tour both the historical and modern areas of Panama City and visit the world-famous Panama Canal, whose impressive system of locks continues to fascinate visitors. The Real Panama Layover Tour.
One – half day or approximately 5 hours. The schedule is adaptable to less time depending upon your needs.
- Adults: $180 USD. Per person.
- Children 3-8 years: $115 USD. Per person.
- You must also add airport transfer costs: $50 USD for 1 or 2 people per direction ($100 USD round-trip for 1 or 2 people). Third and each additional person over 3 years of age $20 per direction.
Tour Fare Includes
- Bilingual driver/guide narrator.
- Entrance fee to Canal Visitor Center and Miraflores Locks.
- Panama City Tour.
Example of Tour and Description
Your tour begins when you are picked up at the Tocumen International Airport (PTY) or at one of the hotels in Panama City.
In route from the airport we’ll pass through an urban section of the noteworthy for the modernness of the designs, the immensity of the skyscrapers and the sophisticated shopping areas and condominiums. On a section of the route we’ll cover a few miles on a highway constructed above the ocean called The Southern Corredor (Corredor Sur). An interesting side note is that Panama City was the first city founded by the invading Spaniards on the shores of the Pacific Ocean on the 15th of August, 1519.
Today Panama City is the most modern city in Latin America. We’ll explore such areas as the city center with its enormous skyscrapers and the waterfront strip with its spectacular boardwalk (Malecón) which spreads out over an area of same 66 hectares (163 acres) a large portion of this having been taken from the sea. Interestingly, the fill used to create this recently added land expansion came from the material extracted as part of the amplification of the Canal. Within this zone you´ll find public squares, parks, bicycle paths, skate parks and even a new soccer stadium. This stadium, named The Maracana, was built as a replica in miniature of the like named in Brazil and has a seating capacity of 5,000 spectators. Additionally, along this board-walk area, you’ll find dozens of acres of open spaces to stretch your legs.
We’ll also visit the Old Town (Casco Viejo or Casco Antiguo) section of the city where you’ll have the chance to walk around and explore this colonial area, take photographs and admire what is truly an open-air architectural museum complete with churches, cobblestone streets, theaters, homes and buildings all constructed in the Colonial era around 1673. In 1997 this area was declared Patrimony of Humanity (Heritage of Humanity ) by UNESCO.
From there we’ll continue on the Amador Causeway, know locally as just “The Causeway”, which is another oceanfront boardwalk area ; Naos, Perico and Flamenco. These islands are connected by a road (The Causeway) that was constructed using the material extracted during the original construction of the Canal. In April 2017 the causeway was re-inaugurated after it was expanded using material newly extracted from them canal during its most recent expansion. You’ll amaze at the views available from the Causeway of Panama City and the high-end residential areas of Paitilla, Balboa Avenue, Pacific Point and Costa del Este. You will, as well, get an excellent view of the Pacific entrance to the Panama Canal and the majestic Las Americas Bridge. The importance of this bridge can not be overlooked as not only does it connect Panama City with the rest of the country but more importantly is one of the two bridges which cross the Panama Canal and effectively create the connection between North and Central America with South America.
Later you will have the opportunity to see the Canal operation up close as well take you to the Canal Visitor Center at Miraflores Locks. There you’ll be able to watch how the locks function and witness the passage of all sizes of ships through them. From the terraces overlooking the Canal you’ll watch as the ships are raised above sea level or lowered back down to it depending upon their direction of travel. You’ll also have the chance to visit the Canal museum where you’ll learn all about the function of the Canal, its history and be able to interact with simulators that will give you the experience of piloting one of the huge ships through the Canal from the captain´s bridge. Also available for your education and entertainment you’ll find galleries and exhibition halls, some of which offer virtual reality presentations in 3D.
This fascinating Panama City Tour will additionally take you to many other sights brimming with history, culture and scenic beauty. After this tour we will take you back to the airport or your hotel.
- Lunch and dinner is available at the Atlantic & Pacific Company restaurant located at the Miraflores Locks Visitors Center during the hours of operation noted above. If you wish to eat at a different restaurant in the city, your guide will assist you. Meals are the responsibility of each guest.
- Depending upon your available time you may wish to compliment your tour with some local shopping. Your driver would be happy to drop you off at any of the many shopping centers and malls in the area and can coordinate to pick you up at a later time to return you to the airport or to your hotel. we are open and available to coordinate with your time and your needs.
- We also can offer to transport you to the museum of the famous architect Frank Gehry, The Biodiversity Museum. At the Biodiversity Museum you’ll have the opportunity to learn about the birth of Panama and about how our beautiful country changed the world. Entrance fees to these museums are at the responsability of each guest. Our guide is available to pick you up at these museums when you complete your visit.
Join Our Tour; Panama City and The Panama Canal Awaits you!
Canal Visitor’s Center Hours of Operation
The Miraflores Visitor´s Center is open from 9:00 am to 5.00pm. Open daily. Tickets are available at the center from 9:00am to 4:15pm and are included in the price of your Panama City Tour.
Atlantic & Pacific Company Restaurant Hours of Operation. Miraflores Restaurant At The Panama Canal. Food is not included in this tour.
- Monday thru Saturday: Lunch Buffet 11:30am to 4:30pm
- Monday Thru Saturday: Dinner 5pm to 10:30pm.
- Sunday: Brunch from 11:30am to 4:30pm
- Sunday and Monday closed from 4:30pm.