We invented the Layover Tour in Panamá!
Tocumen Int´l airport is the entrance port to Panama City and the country of Panama. Tocumen Int´l is the busiest airport in Latin America, and as such serves as a Hub for departures to many others destinations. With this mind, Panama Canal Tours, in conjunction with Continente Ivantours, tour operator, has designed the most interesting memorable and enlightening tours specifically created for the traveler facing and extended airport layover before their next flight. Don’t let yourself be bored waiting needlessly in the airport.
- Contact us and we’ll happily pick you up at the airport and entice you with a look at the authentic Panama.
- These tours are also available from Howard (Panama Pacifico) and Albrook Airports.
Why Choose Us For Your Layover Tour In Panama
Don’t accept imitations that only waste your time and don’t give the chance to discover the true beauty of our country. We created and have perfected The Layover Tour In Panama. If you’re scheduled for a layover of 5 hours or more at the Tocumen Int´l airport and wish to experience the wonders of Panama City; visit the world-famous Panama Canal or the Frank Gehry Biodiversity Museum, where you’ll discover just how Panama changed the world, this is your opportunity.
Our professional driver/guides will take you on an unforgetable tour of the city. You’ll get to see sights and visit places out of the ordinary and not usually available on established tours. We pride ourselves in offering something beyond typical. We don’t intend to just sell a simple tour, we intend to leave you with a yearning to return Panama to conquer her. To repeat; we don’t do ordinary, our driver/guides know how to escape the traditional tour, giving you the chance to experience a true taste of our beautiful country.
What is Needed in Order to Leave the Airport
Three simple requirements. These are the same, universal requirements which exist in any other international airport where you wish to abandon the airport during a Layover.
- Carry your passport showing at least 6 months until expiration.
- Present your plane ticket showing your flight departure information
- Be prepared for the possibility that immigration official requests that you show economic solvency which, generally, amount to $500 USD. In the case of cash, you would only need to show them the cash, not turn it over. If you don’t carry cash, you may also show a bank or credit card statement, authenticated and stamped by your bank. This requirement is very uncommon and seldom requested but the possibility does exist.
How To Reserve
Visit Us Online: RESERVE HERE
Complete the online form and within 24 hours you’ll receive an email containing all the details of your Layover Tour. Or, please feel free to send us an email to: email@example.com, containing the following information.
- Visa or Mastercard Credit Card Number (we currently only accept these two types of cards). This is for the corresponding pre-pay.
- Charge Card Expiration Date
- Full Names of all the passengers who will be doing the tour.
- Ages of any minors who will be on the tour
- City and country of origin
- Telephone number (where you can be reached, can be local panamanian number or that of your city of origin).
- Flight Number, airline, city you will arrive here from, time of your scheduled arrival, time of departure after your layover.
- Airport you plan to arrive at in Panama.
Upon receiving your tour request, our sales and reservation agents will return to your reservation details. Within 24 hours you will receive your confirmation details, the name of the driver/guide who will be picking you up at the airport and a telephone number if you need to contact them.
Airport Pick Up
Your assigned driver will be awaiting you at the airport exit holding a sign with your name. At the end of the tour you will be dropped off back at the airport in time for your departure flight.
Can Luggage Be Taken on the Tour?
Your are welcome too bring your luggage with you on your tour. It will be secure in our vehicle. Inside the airport you will also find secure lockers where you may wish to deposit your baggage for greater security and convenience. Please contact the airport baggage personnel upon your arrival for more details regarding baggage storage.
Layover Tour: Details and Rates
Panama City Tour + Canal Museum + Canal Visitors Center + Locks At Miraflores
Don’t accept imitations; we are the originators of the Layover Tour in Panama. Major world – class travel agencies such as VIATOR/TRIP ADVISOR promote and purchase our tours for their valued customers.
Enjoy a guided sightseeing tour and visit the most important sites and landmarks of Panama. Tour both the historical and modern areas of Panama City and visit the world-famous Panama Canal, whose impressive system of locks continues to fascinate visitors.
One – half day or approximately 4½-5 hours. The schedule is adaptable to less time depending upon your needs.
- Adults: $180 USD. Per person.
- Children 3-8 years: $115 USD. Per person.
- You must also add airport transfer costs: $45 USD for 1 or 2 people per direction ($90 USD round-trip for 1 or 2 people). Third and each additional person over 3 years of age $20 per direction.
Tour Fare Includes
- Bilingual driver/guide narrator.
- Entrance fee to Canal Visitor Center and Miraflores Locks.
- Panama City Tour.
Example of Tour and Description
Your tour begins when you are picked up at the Tocumen International Airport (PTY) or at one of the hotels in Panama City.
In route from the airport we’ll pass through an urban section of the noteworthy for the modernness of the designs, the immensity of the skyscrapers and the sophisticated shopping areas and condominiums. On a section of the route we’ll cover a few miles on a highway constructed above the ocean called The Southern Corredor (Corredor Sur). An interesting side note is that Panama City was the first city founded by the invading Spaniards on the shores of the Pacific Ocean on the 15th of August, 1519.
Today Panama City is the most modern city in Latin America. We’ll explore such areas as the city center with its enormous skyscrapers and the waterfront strip with its spectacular boardwalk (Malecón) which spreads out over an area of same 66 hectares (163 acres) a large portion of this having been taken from the sea. Interestingly, the fill used to create this recently added land expansion came from the material extracted as part of the amplification of the Canal. Within this zone you´ll find public squares, parks, bicycle paths, skate parks and even a new soccer stadium. This stadium, named The Maracaná, was built as a replica in miniature of the like named in Brazil and has a seating capacity of 5,000 spectators. Additionally, along this board-walk area, you’ll find dozens of acres of open spaces to stretch your legs.
We’ll also visit the Old Town (Casco Viejo or Casco Antiguo) section of the city where you’ll have the chance to walk around and explore this colonial area, take photographs and admire what is truly an open-air architectural museum complete with churches, cobblestone streets, theaters, homes and buildings all constructed in the Colonial era around 1673. In 1997 this area was declared Patrimony of Humanity (Heritage of Humanity ) by UNESCO.
From there we’ll continue on the Amador Causeway, know locally as just “The Causeway”, which is another oceanfront boardwalk area ; Naos, Perico and Flamenco. These islands are connected by a road (The Causeway) that was constructed using the material extracted during the original construction of the Canal. In April 2017 the causeway was re-inaugurated after it was expanded using material newly extracted from them canal during its most recent expansion. You’ll amaze at the views available from the Causeway of Panama City and the high-end residential areas of Paitilla, Balboa Avenue, Pacific Point and Costa del Este. You will, as well, get an excellent view of the Pacific entrance to the Panama Canal and the majestic Las Americas Bridge. The importance of this bridge can not be overlooked as not only does it connect Panama City with the rest of the country but more importantly is one of the two bridges which cross the Panama Canal and effectively create the connection between North and Central America with South America.
Later you will have the opportunity to see the Canal operation up close as well take you to the Canal Visitor Center at Miraflores Locks. There you’ll be able to watch how the locks function and witness the passage of all sizes of ships through them. From the terraces overlooking the Canal you’ll watch as the ships are raised above sea level or lowered back down to it depending upon their direction of travel. You’ll also have the chance to visit the Canal museum where you’ll learn all about the function of the Canal, its history and be able to interact with simulators that will give you the experience of piloting one of the huge ships through the Canal from the captain´s bridge. Also available for your education and entertainment you’ll find galleries and exhibition halls, some of which offer virtual reality presentations in 3D.
This fascinating Panama City Tour will additionally take you to many other sights brimming with history, culture and scenic beauty. After this tour we will take you back to the airport or your hotel.
- Lunch and dinner is available at the Atlantic & Pacific Company restaurant located at the Miraflores Locks Visitors Center during the hours of operation noted above. If you wish to eat at a different restaurant in the city, your guide will assist you. Meals are the responsibility of each guest.
- Depending upon your available time you may wish to compliment your tour with some local shopping. Your driver would be happy to drop you off at any of the many shopping centers and malls in the area and can coordinate to pick you up at a later time to return you to the airport or to your hotel. we are open and available to coordinate with your time and your needs.
- We also can offer to transport you to the museum of the famous architect Frank Gehry, The Biodiversity Museum. At the Biodiversity Museum you’ll have the opportunity to learn about the birth of Panama and about how our beautiful country changed the world. Entrance fees to these museums are at the responsability of each guest. Our guide is available to pick you up at these museums when you complete your visit.
Join Our Tour; Panama City and The Panama Canal Awaits you!
Canal Visitor’s Center Hours of Operation
The Miraflores Visitor´s Center is open from 9:00 am to 5.00pm. Open daily. Tickets are available at the center from 9:00am to 4:15pm and are included in the price of your Panama City Tour.
Atlantic & Pacific Company Restaurant Hours of Operation. Miraflores Restaurant At The Panama Canal. Food is not included in this tour.
- Monday thru Saturday: Lunch Buffet 11:30am to 4:30pm
- Monday Thru Saturday: Dinner 5pm to 10:30pm.
- Sunday: Brunch from 11:30am to 4:30pm
- Sunday and Monday closed from 4:30pm.